The chapel Notre-Dame de Pitié
The inhabitants, particularly anglers, of the village of Saint-Nazaire, built this chapel in 1560.
From the beginning, a hermit lived, maintained and watched over the grain there: he had to ring the bell in case of bad weather, storms and fog in order to facilitate the return to port. It also warned the village in case of the arrival of enemy ships.
In 1707, a guard post was established there: the Duke of Savoy was feared.
In 1720, an infirmary was opened to the plague victims.
In 1870, it was used to rest wounded people from the Franco-Prussian war.
Sold as a national property in Year II (1793), it was returned to worship in 1805. It has belonged to the municipality since 1905.
The narthex dates from the 19th century as well as the entrance gate on which the initials MP recall the invocation Mater Pietatis and perhaps Michel Pacha, mayor and benefactor of Sanary.
There is a very beautiful 17th century polychrome wooden pietà and some beautiful examples of ex-voto. Most of them relate to the sea, such as the one that relates the battle of Chebec "la Normande" in 1809, others to tragic events, such as the explosion of the passenger train and ammunition on the Grand Vallat bridge. Its restoration and beautification was completed in 2008 and it was returned to worship in 2009.
Every Saturday at 9am
- Close to a motorway
- In centre of town
- Town location
- Close to pleasure port