In 1570, faced with the increase in population, the inhabitants of Sanary decided to build their church on the site of the priory of the monks of Saint Victor and dedicated it to Saint Nazaire.
Until then, the hamlet of Saint-Nazaire depended on the parish.
From 1570, the first parish registers were opened.
It was the beginning of a true independent religious life crowned by the arrival, and in a grand ceremony, of the relics of Saint Nazaire on 26 July 1650.
At the end of the 19th century Marius Michel dit Michel Pacha, former mayor, decided to offer his hometown a new church.
It was built on the plans of architect Paul Page on the site of the previous one, which generated a certain amount of opposition.
The church was blessed on July 31, 1892.
The organ of the old church, a Charles Gazeau from the 19th century, probably disappeared during the demolition. In the new church, Mader installed and enlarged a small John Abbey organ offered by Camille Saint-Saëns to Michel Pacha.
A century later, the state of the instrument led the city, with the support of the Ministry of Culture, to commission the construction of a new organ installed in 2009.
The choice is a 30-stop organ with exceptional acoustic qualities offering a wide musical range by adopting the principle of resonance.
- In centre of town
- Town location
- Close to pleasure port
8:30 am: Lauds
6pm: early mass (youth mass).
- Accessible for wheelchairs with assistance
- Themed tour